A day in the "life" of a ghostwriter

 



Photo @foxworthystudios

The first thing you need to know is that I have the absolute funnest job ever. After all, I get to be somebody new every day. I write books, as you may imagine, but I also write pretty much anything else: websites, ad copy, proposals, blogs, billboards, and once, I wrote the ads that are pasted up inside porta potties (Who knew that was a thing?). I also collaborate with authors as an editor or writing coach. 

I've been a digital gypsy since before "digital nomad" was a thing. Many years ago, I decided that I wanted to earn my living with the lowest possible overhead and fewest tools, so that I could travel. I've been writing from the road since the days when I had to drive around and lurk behind motels and golf clubs so I could borrow a signal and send off my work to hit deadline.

When I'm working from home, my day starts with coffee (like every day). I live in the South, so most of the year, I am able to sit on the back porch while I work, dogs at my side. I like to be out there in time to watch the sun rise over the neighbor's house and light up the magnolia trees in the backyard. The neighborhood squirrels and cardinals hop up on the closest branch and peer through the screen at me like I'm a zoo exhibit. And they laugh.

I have the usual emails and zoom meetings like everyone else, but I do tend to keep odd hours for two reasons: First, I write when the mood strikes. Secondly, my clients are all over the world and I am happy to accommodate their timezones when they want to talk. It's not unusual to be chatting away at 3:00 a.m. or writing at midnight.

When I'm on the road, life is even more unpredictable. Most of the time, I travel with my bestie, JoJo, also a remote worker. We like to get as close to nature and as far from email as we can. We choose our travel destinations based on where we want to wake up the next day. We've slept on the beach in Malibu, under the redwoods in Big Sur, and most recently, woke up next to some longhorns on a Texas ranch.

I am grateful for this life that keeps me discovering beautiful new places and meeting fascinating new people.









No comments:

Powered by Blogger.